Essentials for a New Born Baby in Kenya
A new born baby in Kenya brings joy and happiness to our homes. However, the baby comes with additional responsibilities and it is important to prepare for the baby’s arrival. As expectant parents it is good to take time to find out all the things the baby will need and be well prepared for the new arrival.
Shopping for a baby is fun and enjoyable, because there are so many beautiful items on offer and parents especially mothers tend to over spend. But can also be quite expensive. Do not go overboard while preparing for the baby’s arrival.
Buy only the necessary items prior to the baby’s arrival, then add when the baby comes. Babies tend to grow very fast and soon out grow all their first clothes within the first three months.
List of essentials for a new born baby in Kenya
In Kenya, hospitals vary in what they provide for new born babies. So regardless of which hospital you choose to deliver your baby in, have the basic essentials to make you and your baby as comfortable as you can while in the hospital.
Hospital Essentials for a new born baby in Kenya
These are basic things you will require at the hospital for the new born baby.
- A good quality diaper bag
- Two packets of baby diapers – small size
- In case of nappies ( cloth diapers) carry fasteners
- 1 Baby blanket
- 2 Baby shawls
- 4 baby undershirts or vests
- 2 sweaters
- 1 baby bonnet
- 4-6 one piece stretch sleepers
- Baby powder
- A mild baby soap
Hospital Essentials for mum
- Carry your identification and insurance cards
- Toiletries such as toothpaste, tooth brush, soap, 2 towels, body lotion and face towels.
- Comfortable undergarments such as feeding bras and breast pads
- Carry some maternity clothes to wear back home, night dresses, nursing gown and a bathrobe.
- Though hospitals provide sanitary towels post delivery, carry your own
- Should you be on medication, remember to carry it
- Arrange on how to pay for the bill, so you may have to carry cash or have a credit card to pay the bill.
- Carry a camera to capture the beautiful moments to cherish all your life
- Have enough credit on you cell phone to share the good news with your family and friends
New born Baby in Kenya – Home Essentials
- Two pairs mittens
- 3 Cardigans
- 4 One piece rompers
- 6 Stretcher sleepers
- 6 pairs of socks
- 6 under shirts / vests
- A few jackets
- 2 baby hats
- Single thermo carrier
- Breast pump – since you will breastfeeding exclusively it will be important to express breast milk for the baby to be fed by the caregiver in case you are away from home.
- 4 feeding bottles to store the expressed breast milk
- Breast pads for mum
- Feeding bras to ease breastfeeding
- 1 Breastfeeding pillow
- 6 Feeding bibs
- 8 Soft wiping towels or liners
- 6 Several burping towels
- 1 plastic baby bathtub an appropriate size
- 2 hooded towels
- Nail clippers
- Cotton swabs
- A mild baby oil
- A baby hair brush
- Detergent for washing baby clothes
- A mild fabric softener
- 2 white buckets for washing baby clothes
Bed time essentials
- A quiet and cool room
- A baby crib or basket
- 3 – 4 baby blankets
- Baby mattress
- A water proof mattress cover
- A mosquito net
- 4 baby bed sheets
- Changing table
- Baby carrier
- Baby car seat
- Storage space for baby clothes – cabinet, closets etc
I hope this new born baby in Kenya essential checklist will make it easier for you to prepare for the new arrival. Do your shopping gradually; do not wait till the last minute.
Prepare and pack the hospital essentials in advance and let your husband, your caregiver or friend know where it is, because where labor starts, clear thinking goes out of the window.
Remember, these are just material things, what your new born baby in Kenya will need most of all is your tender loving and care, shower them with it.